Why an Adoption Attorney?
The American Academy of Adoption Attorneys (AAAA) is an Academy of approximately 340 members throughout the U.S. and Canada who are experts in the complexities of adoption law and the variety of interstate and international regulations surrounding adoption.
Membership is invitational. Fellows all have acted as counsel in at least 50 adoption proceedings, including 10 interstate placements, and must maintain their practice according to the highest standards of ethics, competence and professionalism.
The AAAA is a not-for-profit organization. It has a number of committees dedicated to the improvement of adoption law and its ethical practice. Among others, the committees include the Adoption Agency Practice, Assisted Reproduction, Ethics, Legislative, International Adoption, Interstate Compact and Internet Communications.
Why Hire an Adoption Attorney?
Adoption is a wonderful option for expanding your family, but the laws governing the process can be quite complex. Working with an expert in adoption law will help ensure that your adoption proceeds smoothly.
An adoption attorney will:
- Provide an unbiased explanation of adoption methods and resources and help you develop a legally secure plan tailored to your needs;
- Explain your rights and the adoption laws in your state or refer you to adoption attorneys who practice in other states or internationally;
- Assess the risks involved, including determining what costs are legally permissible and ensuring that the birth parents’ rights are legally terminated before placement is finalized;
- Review and negotiate adoption agency contracts to ensure that your interests are served;
- Clarify your options for post-placement arrangements, if any, with birth parent(s) and draft or review an agreement to ensure your best interests and those of the child are served.
For a referral or for more information about the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys, please visit the Directory of Members on this website.